May 16th, 1511




I write from the island of San Juan de Boriquen, or Puerto Rico as we now call it. As governor, I gave the island its name myself after discovering gold in parts of the island. I am proud of my position as governor of Puerto Rico, however, I often miss the life of a conquistador and even the brutal ocean itself. I am honored to have been presented the role of governing Spain’s territory by King Ferdinand, but I feel as if my time here is ending.
It appears as though Diego Columbus, Christopher’s son, will be presented with my position soon. In that case, I plan on further exploring the new world. The responsibilities of a conquistador fit me better than the role of governor. I miss commanding my sailors and wish to use my knowledge of navigation to discover new territories for Spain and Queen Isabella once again. I long to see my crew again and I long to watch them go about their daily jobs. From sweeping the decks of the ship to keeping lookout, the life of a sailor is not easy. Disease spreads rapidly on the open sea, and sailors must be loyal and brave. However, the crew works hard, and in return, receives free food and shelter along with their pay.
So I write this from my desk, under the name of Governor. But at heart, I will always be a conquistador. Until the day I die, I will live on the sea, for my home is my ship and not my house.