July 6th 1521

I write from my deathbed in Havana, Cuba, where I lie fatally wounded. I know my days on this earth are numbered, as I have been hit in the shoulder with a poisonous arrow. The Calusa Indians attacked my fellow colonists and I, was hit in the middle of the chaos. It turns out I was one of the lucky ones, as many of my men received a worse fate. The physicians are doing all that’s in their power, but the future looks grim. Although I have experienced many dangers over the years, I am afraid that last weeks adventure was the most dangerous risk of them all, and I am unfortunately going to suffer the consequences. Over the years, I have witnessed the dangers of exploration. From my first exploration with Christopher Columbus to my last this past year, I have experienced many horrible nights on the sea. The Atlantic Ocean shows us no mercy, and many lives were lost as a result. Also, the terrible disease known as scurvy took the lives of many of my faithful crew. The life of a sailor is dangerous, but others and I accepted the challenge. When looking back at why I decided to explore, I don’t regret a thing, yet it seems like such a long time ago that I was a young lad, hardened from my battle experiences in fighting the moors and baffled that I was really accompanying the esteemed Christopher Columbus on his journey to the West Indies. Some desired the free shelter and pay of the sailor life. I however, desired glory for my efforts, and desired to be remembered as Juan Ponce de Leon, Governor of San Juan and great explorer of Spain. As I write this, I feel the end coming. I am proud of my accomplishments, and die a happy man. Much has happened since by birth 61 years ago. I have learned and achieved much more than anybody imagined possible from a wealthy boy of Santervas de Campos. Nevertheless, I plan on setting sail in a few weeks for a man with no goals is no man at all.